Thursday, July 14, 2011

Decisions, Thy Name is Blogging

So it has been many hours, months , weeks etc. since my first post. Why, may you ask? There's no good reason other then I have been contemplating allowing others viewable access to my blog and have been struggling with the decision. Truly, my awesome mom  has inspired me to pick up this new way of documenting this season of my life. She started a blog a few months ago as a way to learn a new skill and push herself outside of her "comfort zone." Why can't I live my life in such an open (yet reasonably guarded)way? The answer is I can, I will, and I intend to do this on my own terms.

I tend to be more guarded when it comes to sharing my personal life, I always have been. I don't Face Book, Tweet, etc. With all that being said, here I am with my finger poised over the button to allow my blog to be public. I do realize there is an air of vanity in all of this. Who cares about my musings? No one is even going to look at this blog except family and close friends. However, there is a certain jumping off the cliff feeling when deciding to try something new. I too can follow my mother's lead and push myself. I've done it with running, why not this?

Which reminds me, how is that running thing going? Well, It 's the armpit of summer where I live and running outside is pretty miserable. BUT! I am still doing it. Awkwardly, painfully, but with some results! J is still my trusty sidekick and more friends have joined in on the fun. What's great about this is the diversity in our little group...I have two friends training for a 1/2 marathon in September, another getting married in November and wanting to look her best in her wedding gown. We are all so different but we support each other in our respective endeavours.

Running in the summer is tough stuff, certainly not for the faint hearted. On a personal note, I have seen my mileage increase in the last few months...I ran 6 miles for the first time in oh, EVER! it took me about an hour and a half which is terrifyingly long and NOT a good mile pace, but it was 6 miles and I was happy to reach that mileage goal. It's now time to start working on improving my pace...right now I average anywhere from an 11 -15 minute mile depending on the intensity of the heat/humidity. I am daydreaming of running in 55 degree weather this Fall...it can't get here soon enough.

In May, my running pals and myself ran in a 5k and everyone did really well! My time was 46 minutes...which was a huge improvement over my last (and first 5k), so I was thrilled! Next goals are to run a 10k in October and work on my overall mile pace.

So there's the long and the short of it: making my blog public and running update all wrapped up in a neat little package. Here's hoping for some cooler days in my future (and yours) and lots of painless miles under my feet!

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS DAUGHTER....I was checking to see if I could find your blog...HERE YOU ARE...Thank you angel for the kind words about my journey in the "blogging world".....WELCOME TO YOURS......Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! And welcome to blogging!
    I just went on my first run a couple of weeks ago and it was about like your first experience. However, our bodies are amazing things and they really do learn rather quickly. I went from having to alternate walking and jogging for only a mile, to being able to run almost 2 in just over a week. Increasing distance should be my next step but I am a little scared of that. All these thoughts plague me like “what if I fall? What if i have to pee, or worse? Why am I so thirsty?” etc.

    So six miles is super impressive! Great job – keep running and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the run experience and on blogging! I haven't officially run for many years, but you won't be surprised to know I still have the t-shirt from that run! I think it has the date - 1979 or 1980. Can you believe it! I wore the t shirt the other day even. It was probably a six mile run. I say keep it up both of you. Maybe we should do a family run or walk!

    ReplyDelete